Ex-Death Squad Member Has Tagged Duterte – DOJ Chief
By: Brian Maglungsod, InterAksyon.com
June 2, 2015 6:20 PM
MANILA – A former death squad member who is now a government witness has linked Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to the Davao Death Squad (DDS), blamed for the summary execution of suspected criminals in the city.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima revealed this to reporters a day after vowing to proceed with the investigation of the alleged ties of the controversial mayor to the DDS.
De Lima said the witness, whom she did not name for security reasons, even admitted playing a role in killing some of the death squad victims, allegedly on the order of Duterte.
“The witness even identified those who are behind the killings allegedly on the orders of Mayor Duterte,” de Lima said Tuesday.
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is doing a further case build-up on the witness’s revelations, said de Lima even as she declined to disclose more details due to the ongoing probe.
De Lima and Duterte had engaged in a word war the past days after she said the latter should be held criminally liable if it is proven that he indeed has links to the DDS.
She appealed to people not to idolize Duterte, who is being pressed in some quarters to throw his hat into the 2016 presidential ring.
Duterte in turn accused de Lima of turning a blind eye to the illegal activities in her backyard, noting the scandalous trade of illegal drugs inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City.
De Lima, according to Duterte, should be liable as well for engineering the “kidnapping” of former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in 2011 when she was prevented from leaving the country to seek medical treatment for her condition.
The former president and her husband were already at the airport when a team sent by de Lima caught up with them and stopped them from boarding their flight, even though no case had been filed against her that time, and no hold-departure order had been issued.